Garland/DBS, Inc. is a leading manufacturer and distributor of high-performance solutions for the commercial building envelope. Founded in 1895, the Garland organization is 100 percent employee owned, ensuring that every Garland employee is vested in the long-term performance outcomes of your building envelope projects.
We offer public agencies and non-profits a comprehensive selection of support services to accompany a wide array of roofing and exterior waterproofing material solutions that can be procured through one of the following options below:
- Direct material purchase from the manufacturer at best government pricing, while saving the trade contractor's mark-up
- Turnkey general contracting/construction management services
- Turnkey single-source accountability for the design assistance and installation of complex exterior roofing and waterproofing projects
- Extended service life of exterior roofing and waterproofing systems through active management of your repair, maintenance, and restoration needs
- Over 220 locally based employee-owner representatives for personalized field support across the country
- Best-practice processes to ensure your exterior roofing and waterproofing systems meet or exceed their warranted service life
- Quality-controlled manufacturing combined with qualified local preauthorized contractors and full-service technical support throughout the entire project yields the industry’s lowest warranty adjustment rate
- Comprehensive feasibility studies, including roof inspections, assessment of existing conditions, solution options with budgets, and specification assistance for your chosen solution
- Online roof asset management database services
- Coordination of comprehensive engineering services, including wind uplift computations and shop drawings
Roofing Supplies and Services, Waterproofing, and Related Products and Services
Racine County, WI
Contract Number: PW1925
October 15, 2019 to October 14, 2024 with 1 additional 5-year term
Master Agreement Documents
Garland’s new Defense Force™ line of innovative products is designed to either clean, disinfect and/or protect commercial facilities while also helping combat sick building syndrome. We know protecting the outside of your building is the first step in protecting the people inside. And to us, there is nothing more important.
These innovative products are designed to either clean, disinfect and/or protect commercial facilities while also helping combat sick building syndrome. Available for use on your building’s exterior and surrounding areas, these safe and environmentally conscious products provide powerful protection for the health of your building.
D7™ is an effective and safe antimicrobial disinfectant that kills bacteria, fungi, germs and viruses in minutes and has demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to the coronavirus/COVID-19.
CLEAR-SHIELD™ is a clear acrylic water-based solution that protects a roof's existing surface. It includes EPA-registered antimicrobial products that, in turn, protect the coating itself.
CLEAN-SHIELD™ is a biodegradable, nontoxic solution that safely and effectively cleans, brightens and restores a variety of masonry surfaces. It penetrates the surface to remove contaminants and deposits.
As an industry leader, Garland/DBS continually develops and introduces high-performance roofing and waterproofing products into the market. The company manufactures 95% of what is sold on an annual basis, ensuring extreme quality control and superior product performance. Its material solutions encompass the entire building envelope, providing participating public agencies compelling reasons to purchase through OMNIA Partners.
- High-tensile modified and built-up waterproofing systems
- Architectural and structural standing seam metal roof and wall systems
- Fluid-applied urethane and acrylic systems
- Sustainable systems, such as vegetative roofs, rooftop photovoltaic systems, and energy-reducing reflective coatings
- Environmentally responsible, low-odor/low-VOC adhesive, restoration, maintenance, and repair materials
Garland’s new Defense Force™ line of innovative products is designed to either clean, disinfect and/or protect commercial facilities while also helping combat sick building syndrome.
LiquiTec is an extremely low odor, fluid-applied waterproofing system designed to maintain, restore and upgrade the performance of aged modified bitumen, metal and single-ply roof systems. This two-component, 100% solids, aliphatic polyurea cures quickly to form a highly durable, impact and UV resistant finished roof membrane that increases the life span of the existing roof.
Garland/DBS, Inc. offers customized solutions for all your exterior roofing and waterproofing needs regardless of size, complexity or budget. Our process starts with identifying your requirements as a public agency or non-profit, inspecting your roof and exterior waterproofing systems, and assessing their existing conditions. We use the information gathered to identify and recommend solutions based on your performance expectations.
Aside from manufacturing a wide variety of high-performance roofing and waterproofing materials, Garland/DBS has trusted industry partnerships that allow us to deliver any type of roofing or waterproofing project through the Master Agreement while consistently providing the following support services:
- Qualified local trade contractors to competitively bid the labor
- Material selection and planning
- Specification assistance
- Coordination of professional engineering services
- Installation services from qualified local contractors
- Quality control, project management and oversight
- Close-out assistance and long-term warranty protection
For total project delivery, our turnkey service can also include:
- Only the use of qualified local contractors or your agency’s preferred contractors
- Non-roofing related trades (e.g. masonry, windows, walls, doors, etc.)
- Sustainable roofing solutions such as vegetative or energy-generating systems
Garland/DBS offers the following complimentary project management assistance throughout the project for material only purchases:
- Pre-bid meeting support: walkthrough of the project, explanation of the technical specifications and assistance in answering technical questions
- Pre-construction conference assistance: facilitate discussions on the topics of schedule, staging, sequencing, safety and security, etc.
- In-progress quality assurance inspections: observing the project at key points to assure the specifications and manufacturer installation guidelines are followed as well as assistance resolving discrepancies and issues should they arise
- Close-out inspections: post-job inspections to make certain all quality standards have been met and all work items have been completed
- Long-term, leak-free warranties: an agreement to be a partner with the public agency or non-profit to achieve their long-term expectations for the completed systems’ performance
To standardize the management of your roofing and exterior waterproofing systems, Garland/DBS will customize an online roof management system to fit your organization’s specific needs. Our Dry Zone® Program services include, but are not limited to:
- Wide scale inspection and assessment services across your facilities and locations
- Targeted general housekeeping and preventive maintenance services
- Timely leak response
Dry Zone® is a customized Building Envelope Management Program that ensures you are deriving the most value and performance from your investments, minimizing the future costs of repairs and postponing the costly expense of facade and roof replacements.
With advance planning, Garland/DBS, Inc. can help get your facilities back up and running as quickly as possible when disaster strikes, minimizing damage to the interior contents of your buildings and reducing disaster-related disruptions. Services include a roster of first-responder contractors who are pre-qualified and licensed to work in your area.
- Disaster readiness planning meeting
- Pre-storm staging of assessment teams
- Pre-storm roster of on-call contractors
- Pre-storm repair materials staged and ready
- Post-storm assessment of immediate repair needs
- Post-storm emergency repair
- Post-storm long-term planning
How we Provide "Best Government Pricing"
The line item pricing in Racine County’s Master Agreement was competitively bid on a national level. To make pricing applicable to your local market, labor adjustments specific to prevailing wages where the project is to be performed are included in the bid form.
While this pricing structure yields competitive pricing, it does not provide site-specific pricing. Garland/DBS takes it one step further to provide "Best Government Pricing" by comparing our nationally bid pricing, adjusted to the local market, to a competitively solicited site-specific price and offers the better of the two pricing scenarios. We are committed to offering the pricing process below on every project we propose.
Step 1: The local Garland/DBS representative works with your facilities, engineering and/or procurement team to define a scope of work for each project.
Step 2: Using the scope of work for the project, an estimator prepares a line-item price based upon the scope of work and actual dimensions of your roof.
Step 3: The total of all line items is the Guaranteed Maximum Price and cannot be exceeded. This price is not shared with anyone until the site-specific price has been completed.
Step 1: An estimator works with the local Garland/DBS representative to administer a fully transparent, informal process for obtaining competitive quotes on each project from multiple qualified Garland/DBS preauthorized contractors.
Step 2: An estimator compares all competitive quotes to ensure they are responsive and complete. When selecting the contractor with the best price, all Garland materials are added at the lowest published pricing.
Step 3: An estimator adds the general conditions cost, standard overhead and profit to the lowest qualified quote to develop the Site-Specific Price.
If the Guaranteed Maximum Price is lower, Garland/DBS absorbs the cost differences in lost overhead and profit. If the Site-Specific Price is lower, any savings generated are passed directly to your organization in the form of a site-specific discount.
- Competition for labor on each project
- Adjustable to local prevailing wages
- Entire catalog of building envelope components and services
- No access fees
- Value-added services are free-of-charge (i.e. initial evaluation, budget, recommendations and proposal development services)
- Adjusts to projects of different size, scope, complexity and challenges
- Adaptable to include other associated building trades
- Saves over 100 hours of administrative time and expense throughout your procurement, facilities/engineering and legal departments
- Standard warranties from 10 to 40 years (depending on the product or system) are provided at no cost
- Compliant with local and national building codes
How do I place an order with Garland/DBS, Inc.?
To place your first order, please contact us to establish your Garland/DBS, Inc. account. For all subsequent orders, please contact your locally based representative.
Director of Contracts
mobile: (214) 629 2056
What exactly is covered under the Garland/DBS, Inc. commercial roofing contract for Roofing Supplies and Services, Waterproofing and Related Products and Services?
Included in this contract are two options: (1) a direct material-only purchase option and (2) an integrated selection of roofing and waterproofing materials and services to meet the performance specification requirements of a full spectrum of exterior roofing and waterproofing projects including but not limited to:
- Turnkey construction management with the option for a design-build delivery
- Twelve-step process for identifying and resolving roof problems
- Computerized roof asset management services
- Coordination of engineering services
- High-performance modified roofing and built-up systems
- Architectural and structural standing seam metal roof, wall and rainscreen systems
- Fluid-applied polyurea, urethane and acrylic coatings
- Maintenance and restoration services and products
- Exterior waterproofing, including air and vapor barriers, plaza deck waterproofing and wall coatings
- Sustainable roofing solutions, such as vegetative and photovoltaic systems
What if a product or service is not found in the catalog?
According to the terms of the contract, Garland/DBS, Inc. will price all items not specifically listed in our catalog using RS Means stated cost with a standard mark-up percentage as provided in the bid form for the Master Agreement.
Are there incentives for agencies to purchase turnkey, rather than materials only?
Yes. Every agency will be offered the opportunity to further reduce its installed costs on a per-project basis by having Garland/DBS obtain competitive quotes for the labor and non-Garland materials from Garland/DBS locally based preauthorized contractors. Please see the Pricing section for a detailed explanation of this value-added service created to offer our best price on every project.
Does Garland/DBS, Inc. manufacture the products it sells?
The Company manufactures over 95% of the products sold on an annual basis, with all aspects of product development and quality control under the direct daily supervision of Garland employees.
What is its primary sales/distribution method?
The Garland distribution model uses over 220 direct representatives who live and work in your agencies’ communities to assist with the development of and management of exterior roofing and waterproofing projects. Each territory manager is a dedicated employee-owner of the Company, vested in the long-term success of the projects they manage.
What kind of field support is available to participants?
Garland/DBS, Inc. territory managers are direct representatives that manage exterior roofing and waterproofing projects. Each territory manager receives a minimum of 200 hours of industry-specific classroom and field training within their first year of employment and a minimum of 24 hours of continuing education every year thereafter. In addition, Garland has a professional technical staff that supports the field team of territory managers with support services including: code/insurance approvals, site evaluations, design assistance, coordination of engineering and architectural services, and construction management.
What is the Garland/DBS, Inc. track record for performance?
Over the past 10 years, Garland/DBS has completed over 6,000 projects of various sizes, complexities and scopes of work. During that period, there has been no litigation between Garland/DBS and an agency that contracted with us to perform a project under the OMNIA Partners, Public Sector (legacy U.S. Communities) program. All projects have been completed according to our contractual commitments and to the satisfaction of the agency. Additionally, over that same period, our aggregate change orders, as a percentage of the initial contract value, has been below one-half of one percent or 0.5%.
How well can Garland/DBS, Inc. support our agencies’ sustainability requirements?
Garland was among the first in the roofing industry to commit to green technologies, investing in vegetative roofing capabilities as far back as 1991. The Garland/DBS, Inc. commercial roofing contract offers a wide range of sustainable solutions under its Greenhouse umbrella, including ENERGY STAR® qualified, CRRC, LEED® point contributing, and otherwise independently assessed “green” materials that provide one or more ecologically responsible benefits. A complete list of green products can be found on the Greenhouse page of the Company’s website: https://www.garlandco.com/greenhouse
Does contracting with Garland/DBS through OMNIA Partners take money out of the local community?
Contracting with Garland/DBS through OMNIA Partners keeps over 70% of the project dollars local to the community due to Garland’s collaborative project approach. We work with quality, local preauthorized contractors on every project. Along with that, Garland/DBS typically only supplies the key components of a roofing or waterproofing system. Therefore, in almost all circumstances, other manufacturers’ materials are specified in Garland/DBS projects for the exterior building accessories and thermal protection system. These materials, which often include fasteners, adhesives or parts of the moisture protection system, are purchased by the local roofing contractors through local roofing supply houses, keeping local dollars local.
While products and services are purchased direct from Garland/DBS, there is no additional distributor or third party mark-ups added. In an industry where most manufacturers will only warranty the entire exterior roofing and waterproofing system when their own products are used throughout the system, Garland/DBS takes a unique approach. We understand that our key moisture protection materials create the waterproofing integrity of the systems, allowing us to focus our product development efforts in creating durable, high-performance materials that instill the confidence for Garland/DBS to warranty all types of compatible materials used in the roofing or waterproofing system.